One of the most preferred ways of smoking cannabis is through the use of water bongs because of the cleaner smoke and the more heightened psychedelic experience it provides.
While there is a constant battle between which smoking method is better, the use of bongs is, without a doubt, more intricate than smoking a simple joint. Moreover, these advantages come with the liability of keeping the bong impeccable – especially the water it contains. If the weed comes from 35% THC seeds, the effect is much more potent than conventional joint smoking.
Also known as a water pipe, a bong is smoking paraphernalia that uses water to filter smoke. Thereby proving to be a healthier alternative by filtering out pollutants and toxins that would otherwise get into the respiratory system of the user.
The smoke produces bubbles as it enters the water, and the user smokes the resulting vapor. It provides a cooler, cleaner, smoother, and more potent hit which makes bongs popular among smokers.
Types of Bong
There is a wide array of bongs available in the market. This paraphernalia varies according to the material used and the design.
- Glass bongs are the most popular type because it does not contaminate the smoke with a strange smell and taste. Due to its transparency, it is also easy to keep an eye on resin buildup. Thus, making it easier to determine when the bong needs to be cleaned. Aside from that, the slippery surface of the glass makes it easier to clean.
However, one significant limitation of using glass bongs is that it can easily break when mishandled. Additionally, glass bongs are typically expensive.
- Bongs made of plastic are considerably inexpensive. These come in many colors and are more durable compared to glass bongs since they hardly ever break. This makes this type of bong suitable for traveling.
The only downside is that plastic tends to absorb odors. With regular use, the plastic bong will inevitably affect the quality and flavor of the smoke.
- These types of bongs are not as popular as others because of their weight and fragility. Nevertheless, ceramic bongs are beautiful works of art that are quite expensive. It is also entirely opaque, so regular cleaning is advisable.
- Metal bongs are quite cheap. However, this type is not as common as glass or plastic bongs. Like plastic, metal bongs alter the taste of the smoke, so not many users prefer this kind.
- Straight tube. As the name implies, this is a straight tube with a small downstem and bowl on the side. It is the most common and simplest design there is.
- Multi-chamber. This design is a more complex variation of the straight tube. The body is still straight, but it branches out in the middle, thereby creating two chambers. Both chambers hold water, so the smoke is filtered twice. While this type produces a very smooth and clean smoke, it is also challenging to clean.
- Also known as bubbler bong, the central defining feature of this type is a percolator that creates bubbles. Hence, any bong with a percolator can be classified under this type.
- Carburetor Bong. This type is just any kind of bong that has a small hole in the middle that serves as an entry point for airflow. The gap is plugged with a finger while the smoke fills the bong. Before taking a hit, the finger is removed. Thereby allowing fresh airflow to push the smoke out of the tube and into the user’s oral cavity.
Parts of a Bong
- Tube/Base. This is a hollow, cylindrical tube about 8 inches long. It is where small amounts of water are poured into.
- This is a small tube at the side of the base which slides into the water. It is where the bubbles come from. Thus, the more cuts in the downstems there are, the smoother the hit will be.
- More popularly known as “carb,” this is a small hole on the side of the base that serves as an avenue for the clean airflow. It lets air in and clears the tube.
- This is placed on top on the downstem. It is where the weed sits for lighting.
- This acts as a filter by creating bubbles in the water when the smoke from the bowl enters the water in the base.
- Ice pinch. Some bong models have an ice pinch where the tube has grooves in it that can hold a piece of ice. The ice serves as an additional layer of filtration as well as a coolant for the smoke.
How to Use a Bong?
Smoking through bongs may seem intimidating at first, comparatively when choosing to buy cannabis seeds online. However, in reality, it is a pretty straightforward process. The cannabis is placed on the bowl and ignited. The smoke from the bowl travels in the downstem, into the water where it is filtered and finally, through the percolator. The resulting bubbles then go up the tube, and into the user’s mouth after every inhalation.